And the game that my data shows to be the 14,000th* is...
Melbourne v St.Kilda, at the MCG on Saturday 28 April 2012I have tried to alert the M.C.G., the AFL and other AFL statistical folk** to this confirm this, and have received no confirmation nor rejection, nor any other correspondence.
So, do I and anyone else that cares, just assume that the 14,000th game, between two of the foundation clubs, at the home of football, IS JUST GOING TO BE IGNORED?
- Was the AFL celebratory budget 'shot' by the preceding Anzac Day's festivities?
- Did the MFC only have funds to cover the Stynes memorial, and not any other events?
- Is 14,000 games of football not a noteworthy event?
- Is the 14,000th game an unfortunate 'accident' for the AFL, as it is played between Melbourne and St. Kilda and not two of the 'glamour' clubs the league cares about?
I guess those in charge will have to answer those questions, or just sweep it under the carpet.
After all, the 15,000th game is only about 5 seasons away.
That gives the AFL a nice chance to set that game up to be a clash between two clubs the AFL actually care about!
* The game falls out as the 14000th if you list the days games either alphabetically, or by game start time... no avoiding it!
** Advised via twitter to @mcg, @AFL_PKeane, @AFLStatsGuys... in some cases, several times.